Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Beautiful Day in June






The temperature was high for most of the week, but it cooled off and became quite pleasant for this weekend. Our garden plants could tell the difference too, and the soil wasn't bone dry by the afternoon either!

I finally realized I made a horticultural error with the cucumber plants in the planter. When I planted the garden, I thought that for each seed I planted, I would get one cucumber. Not so, not so! For each seed I planted, a large vine began to grow. Each vine had numerous, large leaves that began hogging all the sunlight. Thus, we had a garden full of cucumber plants that were preventing the tomatoes and the bell peppers from growing. I like cucumbers, but not that much! Garrett and I experimented with transplanting some of the plants into a garden space we had left in front of our house. The results were sad, as you can tell by the pictures. I ended up cutting most of then away and putting them in the green box. We'll have to see how the tomatoes and bell peppers do now that they have access to some direct sunlight. Garrett and I have also been amazed at how much difference two or three feet can make in the amount of sunlight an area gets, and how much that affects the growth of the garden. From the pictures, you will be able to tell what plants get the right amount of sun, and which plants need a bit more in order to grow faster.

I also included a couple of pictures of the inside of our apartment so that you can see what it looks like without all the moving boxes everywhere (I should have posted pictures of this sooner-the moving boxes have been gone for a long time).

No comments:

Post a Comment