Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving!





This year, Garrett and I went to my aunt and uncle's house for Thanksgiving. We had a great time. The food was delicious, and the company of my cousins and uncle (who have very witty senses of humor) was lively and pleasant. We arrived around noon to find my uncle putting up the last of the Christmas lights on his house. I was surprised to see that he had a blue print for his house, complete with a guide to where each particular string of Christmas lights would go (labeled A, B, C, D, etc.) I have never seen anyone be so organized about putting up lights!!! He had already picked up the turkey that morning-completely cooked and ready to go whenever the rest of the meal was done. And the turkey tasted fantastic! My uncle was telling me that a local Scout troop does a fundraiser every Thanksgiving that consists of cooking people's turkeys overnight & underground in a sort of "pit roaster". So every year for the past several years, my aunt buys a turkey, and my uncle takes it the night before Thanksgiving to the property where the turkeys are cooked and drops it off, then picks it up the next morning after it's been cooked. The turkey fell off the bones, and was very juicy and moist. But the highlight of the meal was this chocolate cake that my aunt made-Buttermilk Chocolate Cake (nicknamed "Trenchbull Cake" by my cousins--remember the book "Matilda" by Roald Dahl?) It's four layers thick with rich, creamy icing that melts if it isn't kept in the fridge due to its high chocolate content. Oh yes, I've found a new favorite dessert! (You will see me pictured with my aunt beside the famous "Trenchbull Cake" in one of the pictures included with this blog). 

Besides participating in the Thanksgiving festivities at my aunt and uncle's house, Garrett and I also enjoyed remembering our blessings and being reminded of the counsel that we are to give thanks in ALL things (even challenges and trials).  Garrett showed me this YouTube video produced by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints that helped me get in the true spirit of Thanksgiving. I highly recommend watching it. The video is called: "In the Spirit of Thanksgiving"

I know from my own experience that when I am willing to give thanks in all things that I am given strength to endure well whatever trial or trouble I am going through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment